Lo nuevo de Prodigy hecho con Reason

Juan Bauti (aka Skinny)
#1 por Juan Bauti (aka Skinny) el 12/04/2004
Hey:

Os dejo aquí esta noticia/entrevista, que supongo a los usuarios de Reason os interesará:

--------------

Liam Howlett of Prodigy explains why Reason, to him, is the best thing since sliced bread.
by Fredrik Hägglund

Anyone who wasn’t in a deep coma all through the 1990’s would be hard pressed not to remember Essex based dance outfit The Prodigy. They extracted the pure essence of the rave scene, infused it with hefty doses of punk, funk & skunk, wrapped it up and smuggled this package of unbridled club energy into your living room in the guise of chart smashers like Out of Space, Poison, Firestarter, Breathe and Smack My Bitch Up. But where are they now? As it turns out, they’re already on the approach for your speaker membranes at 300 mph, dead set on making all the world’s decibel meters blow their fuses once more.

Rumblings from the Dirtchamber

We tune in as Liam Howlett, the sonic sculptor of the band, is busy crafting the fourth Prodigy album in the depths of his studio dwelling The Dirtchamber. It has indeed been a while since we last heard from them; 1997 saw the release of The Fat of the Land, but other than the orphan single Baby’s Got a Temper – released in the summer of 2002 – Prodigy have been perplexingly quiet.

A six year hiatus, why?

– Well it wasn’t a conscious decision or a plan, really; it just happened. We knew there would be downtime after The Fat of the Land – we felt we had reached the pinnacle of what Prodigy was, and I myself had my mind set on taking a couple of years off. And then time just flew by, know what I mean?

About 2 years ago I started working again, but soon realized I needed to shift myself out of the formula I’d gotten into from working in the same environment all the time. I’d written everything in Cubase from 1993 onwards, with a bunch of hardware synths and Akai samplers as my main setup. I sat down and I thought, “well... this is just so boring. How can I ever get inspired doing the same old thing? How am I gonna write a fresh, inspired album? I’m not enjoying it, it’s not going anywhere, I hate my studio, I hate all the equipment in it.”

For a man with a hardware gear list the size of a small town phone directory, that’s a lot of equipment to hate. Liam’s winding road through the world of music making is one which many of his generation can relate to; he started out with a simple 4-track portastudio and turntables in the 1980’s, soon got into synthesizers, and eventually found himself using a Roland W-30 workstation with a whopping 16 seconds worth of sampling time. The entire first album, The Prodigy Experience, was created on just this one keyboard. As the royalties started rolling in, so did the gear – and soon enough Liam found himself immersed in a machine park with enough electronics to fill a space cruiser. But, as anyone who’s been-there-done-that will know, that can be more of a curse than a blessing.

What got you back on track again?

– I bought myself a laptop, which completely reanimated my creative process because I was able to write anywhere I went. At one point someone told me to check out this program Reason, “it’s really back to basics, you should check it out just for fun, you know?” So I did – I started out just writing beats on it and approached it in a sort of recreational sense, like you would a computer game. Then I’d go off somewhere like Scotland or New York and I’d take my laptop with me, with all my samples on the hard drive... and then it all just started happening. Reason was just like... it totally refreshed me, it was just amazing. It was like going back to how it was in the beginning. All of a sudden I was writing two or three songs a week, just messing around and having a laff again. I started something with it and got it rocking in ten minutes. That took a lot of pressure off of me. So, to summarize: What got me back on track was A) the laptop, and B) a program that let me feel I’ve gone back and taken all the complication out of writing music.

A lot of people feel that way; Reason is like a lifesaver for the bored gearhead musician. You?

– Yeah, I couldn’t live without it. If Reason hadn’t come along I would probably still be in my studio, depressed, going “aww bloody ‘ell, don’t know what I’m gonna do”, you know? I don’t want to pat Propellerhead on the back too much, but... Reason has literally changed my life, getting me back in the studio and enjoying it all again. It’s taken the monotony out of music making and put it into a format where music should be these days – no big deal, just something that should be fun to do. Creation is always painful, but this is the least painful way I know of.

What do you think it was in the old days that ultimately sucked the life out of creativity?

– It was all so time consuming back then, we were all bogged down in cumbersome processes. I’m not very technical – I come from a hip hop sort of cut-and-paste background and I’m not this big studio guy, it’s just all in my head. The technology available now frees the mind in the creative sense; I’m able to think about the actual song a lot more, rather than just going “it’s gonna take me an hour to do this or that”. Music for me these days is quite punk rock, it’s very DIY, very throwaway. I know I’m not creating something that’s gonna be around forever. For me and for Prodigy it’s all about the quick punch in the face, you know?

So, Reason is pretty much the meat of the sound on the new album?

– Literally everything you’ll hear on the new album has been written on Reason. Everything starts there. Eventually we get to a stage where the song is written, and then we – that’s my producer Neil McClennan and I – move it into ‘Tools where we finish off everything, and that works great since Reason integrates with ProTools really well. Everything that comes out of Reason sounds really good, it’s got this sound, I think – a kind of certain... everything sounds like it “locks in” really good, you know? And that sound we got out of Reason is something that we now and again had to go back to Reason to duplicate; sometimes we’d do a thing in ProTools and it just didn’t rock it like Reason did, so we’d take it out of ProTools and try to duplicate it in Reason instead.

What are your favorite Reason devices?

– That would have to be the drum machine and the Dr. REX. I use the REX player all over the place and I just love the way you can mess around with a loop, and I love the way you can sync the LFO to tempo and route it to the filter, we use that on the album a lot. As for the effects, the Scream 4 unit is just the best thing for the type of music I’m writing. Definitely the high point of version 2.5 for me. The tape distortion is very good for bass, to give it the edge, it’s warm...

What, specifically, don’t you use Reason for?

– When it comes to bass sounds, I’m pure analog and I don’t use soft synths for bass at all. There’s just no substitute for analog. Instead, I’ll take an Oberheim, Moog, Korg MS-20 or something, sample a sequence of it playing, rex it up and then bring that back in Reason and lock it in there. I do occasionally use the softsynths to put melodies down – I’d say maybe 50% of the synths, the top line and high end stuff, is Reason. I can’t as of yet use it for everything – obviously you can’t record vocals into it – but ultimately, what Reason does have by way of limitations is also one of its strong points. It forces your imagination to be more on the board, you have to dig it out of your head rather than just going “well, I just can’t do that in there”. I never saw it that way, I mean if something you want to do is completely off limits then just use another program, no big deal.

Liam has a wish list for things he’d like to see in future versions of Reason. One would be the ability to automap non-tonal samples to individual key zones in the NN-XT, for creating drum maps on the fly.

– My end note on Reason is, it’s got this humour about it, it’s like – when somebody showed it to me the first time and said “you can keep on building the rack up...” I was all, “what rack, what’re you on about?” I couldn’t believe it, it was just such a simple and genius idea. It’s so obvious now, isn’t it? Love it.

The new Prodigy album “Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned” is slated for a spring/summer 2004 release.

saludos
Subir
OFERTASVer todas
  • beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro
    138 €
    Ver oferta
  • -40%
    ¡Precio mínimo histórico! AKAI MPK 261
    298 €
    Ver oferta
  • -8%
    Behringer X Air XR18
    645 €
    Ver oferta
Lamprolog
#2 por Lamprolog el 12/04/2004
Je !

Es que el NN-XT está muy bien. El resto, bueno ... si acaso algun efectillo.
Eso si, me pregunto como lo harán en los directos, aunque ya lo dice, para crear, fecuentemente tiene que samplear a algun abuelito.

Skinbeard, te acuerdas de la discusion de ayer a altas horas de la noche ? ;)

Saludos
Subir
Gas_boy
#3 por Gas_boy el 12/04/2004
Recuerdo q había por ahi un anuncio de Coca-cola en el cual se reconocían facilmente algunos sonidos que trae Reason.
Subir
Juan Bauti (aka Skinny)
#4 por Juan Bauti (aka Skinny) el 12/04/2004
Hey:

Pues ya casi que no me acuerdo de la discusión de ayer...acabé con dolor de cabeza, malhumorado y depresivo.... :(

saludos
Subir
Lolita
#5 por Lolita el 12/04/2004
solo por curiosidad, y ya que estan hablando de esto, me dijieron que reason se lo habian encargado a un grupo de musica electronica, y que ellos lo habiaan diseñado, ¿es verdad o me aagarraron desprevenida?
Subir
toniterrassa
#6 por toniterrassa el 12/04/2004
Bueno yo no estoy seguro a ciéncia cierta, pero está claro que los Propellerheads músicos y los Propellerheads creadores del programa pueden ser los mismos.

TONi
Subir
Lamprolog
#7 por Lamprolog el 12/04/2004
Malhumorado y depresivo ? No fuerces la maquina, tio. Lo que hacemos mal muchas veces es empezar a jugar a ver lo que sale. Creo que deberíamos pensar antes de incluso encender cualquier cacharro. Por ejemplo antes se hacía todo sobre papel... Ahora creo que abusamos del juego, y estos de the Prodigy (por cierto el nombre viene de un Moog), tienen la idea clara.

He estado escuhando ahora mismo tu tema NItelights. Estoy haciendo ahora algo semejante, ya que he dejao un tema con el que llevaba todo el fin de semana. A punto he estado de cargarmelo, buscando no se que. Quizas te faltan un poco de agudos. Prueba el Wavelab para arreglar estas cosillas.
Subir
saintethic
#8 por saintethic el 12/04/2004
No, no, unos propellerheads y otros no tienen nada que ver. Para empezar los props programadores son de suecia y los músicos ingleses. Lo de Propellerheads creo que es un apelativo tipo "nerd", empollones o locos de las maquinitas o algo así. A mí reason me parece un programa excelente. Si se pudieran meter pistas de audio y grabar en él no haría falta casi nada mas. Habrá que ver que hacen en la versión 3. Por mi parte lo que realmente me gustaría es que incluyeran un rack que fuera un sinte programable a lo nord modular, que pudieras convertirlo en sinte, efecto o lo que quisieras. Para mí la forma de usar reason es aprovechar sus cualidades modulares al máximo y usar mucho material sampleado por uno mismo para alimentar el rex player, la caja de rirmos (redrum, murder al revés como en el resplandor ;-) ) y el nn-xt. Sólo por su capacidad como sampler ya merece la pena. Ah, y la nueva reverb y la distorsión son impresionantes. Ojalá se pudieran procesar señales externas directamente con ellas.

Lo dicho. A ver que tal el reason 3, espero que sea todo lo bestia que algunos esperamos que sea.
Subir
PSGirl-Suburbia
#9 por PSGirl-Suburbia el 12/04/2004
Creo que a lo que Lolita se refiere es a que el sinte Malstrom fué diseñado por uno de los de Kraftwerk (eso leí por algún lado).
Subir
saintethic
#10 por saintethic el 12/04/2004
No, no. El sinte malstrom fue diseñado por un tío que ha sacado un plugin de batería llamado utonic.
https:/www.hispasonic.com/noticia1224.html
Subir
Origami
#11 por Origami el 12/04/2004
interesante lo de produgy-reason; de todos modos, también hay q reconocer (sin querer abrir nuevas discusiones de q estudio es mejor etc etc, q ya aburren jeje), también hay q reconocer, decía, q lo ha hecho con reason pq le pasaron reason, tal como él lo explica; quién sabe si le hubieran pasado otro, as aber, orion, FL, storm etc etc si no le hubiera pasado lo mismo, no? :mrgreen:

pero vamos, q sí, q es interesante saber q un grupo conocido (y, aunq no es exactamente mi estilo, bueno) usa un programa como reason.
Subir
toniterrassa
#12 por toniterrassa el 12/04/2004
Jo que perdido que estoy ...

TONi
Subir
Origami
#13 por Origami el 12/04/2004
por qu
e estás perdido, toni? q ocurre?
Subir
faelitox
#14 por faelitox el 12/04/2004
Reason + Pro Tools... ....
Por lo visto la pieza clave en su musica es el Dr. Rex!!!
Y los bajos los hace con Hard, que samplea y mete en el Dr.rex. Dice que no hay nada como bajos analogicos!!
Lo que se trata es que REASon es muy intuitivo, divertido, rapido y el Matrix que tiene no es profesional pero es magico, pintas cualquier cosa y sale algo chulo jejjeje!!! esto parece mentira pero es cierto, si no estas inspirado, pues hace cuatro chorradas y enseguida ya te empiezas a inspirar, yo hace anos que no lo uso pero hay veces que hecho en falta eso!!! jejejeej
Un Saludo
Subir
Lamprolog
#15 por Lamprolog el 12/04/2004
Bueno, eso de pintar cuatro chorradas yo lo hacía ya con el Amiga. Te daba la inpiracion para una linea bajo, luego un pad, una percusion y unos transposes, y a tomar viento la farola. :)
Subir
Hilos similares
Nuevo post

Regístrate o para poder postear en este hilo